Saturday, February 8, 2014

Oh, the Ironies of "Subversives...."

I'm still in the initial chapters of Seth Rosenfeld's "Subversives," and as I've said in conversation with others, so far it's pretty depressing.

But one thing that stands out -- and I'm sure it is Rosenfeld's intent -- is that those who throw around the accusation of "subversive" at others are almost always the actual subversives -- of the law, the constitution, and of basic human decency and justice. It is the constant theme running through the book -- at least so far as I have read.

During the hey-day of the Neo-Cons under Bush, I would post comments or write here that these Neo-Cons were, in actuality, the very "subversives" (in many cases literally) that we were constantly warned about during the 1950s. These were the very people or their ideological descendants. I thought, "How very intriguing."

But I'm finding in reading Rosenfeld's book, that the subversion was more deeply based and widespread.

It's fascinating, and I hope to write more about it in the not too distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment